Installing XP From An .iso File
It is possible to use the firadisk driver to install Windows XP from an .iso file without editing the Windows installation media. The following method has been adapted from posts here and here by boot-land member fujianabc.
This method requires a floppy disk image (containing the firadisk drivers and a setup file txtsetup.oem) and a Windows installation CD image file.
To create the floppy disk image -
- Use ImDisk to create and mount a floppy disk image C:\firadisk.ima as drive R: with the following command -
imdisk -a -s 1440K -m R: -o fd -f C:\firadisk.ima -p "/fs:fat"
- Create file R:\txtsetup.oem containing the following text -
- Copy firadisk.inf, firadisk.sys and firadisk64.sys to drive R:
- Unmount drive drive R: using the following command -
imdisk -d -m R:
Install windows XP from a Grub4dos bootable USB drive (this assumes that the BIOS supports USB booting and recognises the USB drive as a hard disk type device (hd)) -
- Copy the Windows XP .iso file to the USB drive - we will be using xp.iso
- Copy firadisk.ima (the floppy disk image containing the firadisk drivers and txtsetup.oem) to the USB drive
- Create menu.lst file at the root of the USB drive with the following entries -
- Change the BIOS settings on the target PC (the machine you plan to install XP to) to boot from the USB stick - when the system boots the USB stick will become device (hd0) and the hard disk will become device (hd1), hence the menu.lst entries -
- Boot the target PC from the USB stick and select option XP setup from iso - this will load the Windows installation image file to system memory. Loading times will vary - the test system booted using USB 2.0 speeds and mapped the image in approximately 90 seconds.
- When the image has finished loading into RAM Windows setup should begin - follow the instructions on screen.
- After the first stage of the Windows installation has completed the PC will reboot - this will clear the mapped .iso image from RAM. If the BIOS settings were configured correctly the USB stick will be booted. The iso image must be remapped prior to restarting the install - select option Continue XP setup.
- During the second stage of the installation you will be prompted with a warning that FiraDisk Virtual Disk Enumerator has not passed Windows Logo testing... click on the Continue Anyway button.
- The setup process should now continue as normal. When prompted to reboot the PC remove the USB stick and change the BIOS settings back to normal.